Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Stranger danger"

Has anyone ever had a parent or adult figure in their life warn them about "stranger danger"? If so, you are not the only ones. Not only did my parents tell me over and over again about this precaution, but several other adults in my life told me as well.



I've always understood that this was very important and to always be careful, but after hearing it so many times the saying became a nuisance.

When my generation was growing up the internet was just starting out and because of that several parents began to take extra measures when it came to dealing with their children and strangers. 

Parents would always seem to blame or fault the internet for online sexual predators, but in reality their children were more likely to be abused by people they knew like family or friends. This problem is still a major issue today as well. 

In the book "It's Complicated" by Danah Boy'd she expresses her personal opinions on how she believes that children are more likely to be taken advantage of or be abused by people they know rather than strangers on the internet.

 Author Danah Boy'd

I would have to say that I completely agree with Boy'd because by having children go on the internet doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be abused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment